All About Me!

Hi, my name is Avery Kirk and I am originally from Kansas City, Missouri, but I moved to Alaska in April of 2023. I came up to Fairbanks specifically to work for a company called Northern Alaska Tour Company as a tour guide and I have worked for them ever since guiding tours on the Dalton Highway up to the Arctic Circle all year round. I love to travel and I have been to 34 countries (and counting) and 6 of the 7 continents. I have many places that are still on my list, but after 5 years of constant stop and go with traveling, I've decided to actually pursue a career in Elementary Education (although I still plan to travel on school holidays!). In addition to traveling, I love spending quality time and exploring Alaska with my partner, Travis. I also enjoy hiking and just spending tranquil time in nature. 

This was this summer in Split, Croatia


I, like most people, love music. There are many songs that I find myself having a seemingly full body and full mental connection with. I like music that makes me feel strong emotions whether it's happy, sad, ambitious, angry, frustrated, or all of the above all at once! I like to strum on my ukulele, but I don't actually have any formal training on it, so it's just a hobby that brings me a little bit of joy. I also did a lot of musical theater growing up and I was very serious about choir while in high school. My favorite music to hear live is more classical, stringed instruments. I don't care for concerts at large venues with big ticket musicians. 

One of my favorite artists is called Caiola and one of the best songs that he has written is one that originally had me thinking about Alaska as a place to live in the first place. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gibu4232BbA

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I did theatre too! Some of the best times of my younger school years. MCT was the week we all looked forward to every year. I definitely will take a listen to your favorite artist since we both seem to have that strong mental connection when listening to music.

      Delete
    2. My google wont let me log in for my name but it's Mandy Raad(not Anonymous) here! Great first post!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful blog post. One of my buddies from college went on a trip to the Arctic Circle this summer, and low and behold her bus driver was a musician friend of mine - Thom. Is he with your company? I loved Split when I went there back before the war. Glad you have been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thom is my coworker and he does mostly the same tours that I've been doing! I hope your friend enjoyed her tour up to the Arctic Circle!

      Delete
  3. Hello! I am also pursuing a degree in Elementary Education! I think it is amazing how much you travel. I have just left the United States for the first time this summer to drive up through Canada with a new camper!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow it's so cool how much you travel! Such a dream of mine. I'm also studying education but instead of elementary school I'm studying secondary education!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love listening to music that makes me feel strong emotions. I love that you are going out and achieving your dreams, keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Avery! Your story was super interesting to read! Similary, my family is from Missouri and we love to travel. I love music, the emotions and feelings are what makes it enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Avery, I found your post entertaining and it was cool hearing that you enjoy traveling. I am in a similar major!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Avery! It’s awesome that you moved to Alaska to be a tour guide. Your travel experiences will definitely enrich your future classroom. I love that you connect so deeply with music, too. Strumming the ukulele sounds like a fun way to relax! Looking forward to hearing more about your time in Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Avery. I am also getting my degree in Early Elementary, and I traveled to Alaska too! I love to travel as well and nice job on your paragraphs they are so well put together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Avery, that is so awesome that you have been able to see so much of the world! Besides a brief trip to Canada I have only really been in the United States. I also really like the song you shared! It fits pretty well into the kind of music I enjoy listening to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Avery! You are so amazingly brave I felt that the two of you could take on whatever you wanted with such an adventurous spirit. I have also noticed how you have evolved in crisis and transition from travel, and job as a tour guide in Alaska to now pursuing elementary education. In fact, from your writing, it is clear that you love music and some aspects of nature. I wish you the best in your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts